About Me as a Person...



This is Me

I enjoy listening to music. My favorite genres right now are rock and jazz. I occasionally listen to hip-hop, but being a practicing member of my religion interferes with me becoming more than a casual fan. Or at least, I think so. I shy away from songs about big pimping. Hip hop has its mad creative and random side too though, and I like that stuff a lot. The best example might be "Welcome to the World of the Plastic Beach" by Snoop Dogg and Gorillaz.
I am a Mormon. I served a 2 year mission for my church from July 2011 until July 2013. I was a missionary in Lima, Peru. Above is a picture of me in Chiclayo, Peru, a few years ago. Obviously, were I still a missionary I would be wearing a tie. But since I wasn't, and I was forgetful, I left my tie in Utah before visiting Northern Peru with my mom. I only needed my tie for one day during my family trip: Sunday.
Above that is a picture of me and an Idahoan friend freezing in the cold Provo night, October 2013. It was a different time.



This is a (blurry) picture of me when I still took selfies: still fall 2013. As I said, it was a different time. The bearded fellow is Gavin Ryan, one of the better known drummers in the Provo area. He was my drum teacher for a few weeks at this time before the commute from Ephraim grew to be too much for me. Later, after I finished at SNOW just about 5 credits shy of an Associate's Degree, he would be my drum teacher again. He was teaching private lessons at Utah Valley University. I signed up, hesitant to practice music so much, but ready to stretch myself. He was a great teacher. I'm still looking for those notes from his private lessons. I want to re-learn those crazy scales he taught me.



This is Shelby. Her hair was very different in the spring of 2014. We dated on and off for a while, but all that upgraded into a marriage on August 15, 2015.




Since then, I've been happier and more productive. I joined the Southern Utah University Percussion Ensemble. I played in a couple of the bigger songs in our concert last November. The class was only a half credit, but to me it meant a lot. I was playing music again. I was working on my skills. I was good enough to perhaps earn a scholarship, although I wouldn't have the time to play enough to make it worth the effort of auditioning. Music is a big part of my life. I won't bore you with the dozens of screen shots of Amazon Music MP3 files I have listened to. I won't embed the footage of my concert (at least until I get it). But it's pretty obvious that being a Communications major won't prevent me from listening to music every day, and playing drums whenever I can. I enjoy it too much.

-Spence






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Influences and Heroes

Another Great Music Video

NPR Curating- Kendrick Lamar