5 Songs I Love

Favorites of Mine 



1) Keep the Car Running- Arcade Fire
2) 745- Vince Staples


These are two very different songs. I love them both, though. The Arcade Fire one gets me amped up. To me the lyrics are just pure Americana.
"Every night my dream's the same
Same old story with a different name." 
It's kind of like a Springsteen tune that was written by... not him.

The Staples tune is really witty & macho. He sounds bossy, sure, but in a charming kind of way. It's a difficult blend to achieve, but this California MC really nailed it.

3) Funky Monks- Red Hot Chili Peppers


So fun! I feel like Chad Smith is the secret weapon on this track. He had a Vulcan mind meld with Flea when they recorded.

Technically there WERE saints in California, and had been for a long time. Some Mormon pioneers (also called Latter Day Saints) left Brigham Young for the Gold Rush. Guess which church I go to on Sundays.

4) Drive Away/Main Theme: A Series of Unfortunate Events (film) soundtrack- Thomas Newman

This one's innovative & groovy. I love how irregular the sounds are. It's rather hard to describe unless you hear it, honestly. 

This song is very fitting for a film with a big steampunk influence. I used to listen to this entire soundtrack while doing homework at my internship at college. The songs are all quite exciting, and remind me of the correlating scenes from the movie.

5) Main Theme/Reprise: Catch Me if You Can soundtrack- John Williams

Soundtracks are great when you have a composer of his caliber. This song really hearkens to the era represented in the film.

I have been a fan of John Williams in a sort of
indirect way for a long time, since I watched the
(then) new Star Wars movie: The Phantom Menace.
I don't like most of the movie, but the songs are awesome.

John Williams is a genius. He can write & conduct music for almost any kind of film. He did the music for many of the Harry Potter films, of course Catch Me If You Can, the Indiana
Jones films, Star Wars, and many other projects.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Influences and Heroes

Another Great Music Video

NPR Curating- Kendrick Lamar